tips for home safety (personal experience)
this past week, my home got broken into and I lost many valuable items and documents. I am still in the process of recovering. I learned a few things this week and I wanted to share them just in case they might be helpful to you.
A few tips:
- no matter if you own or rent a house or an apartment, consider having theft and fire insurance. this helped a lot.
- all important documents need to be in a bank safe and NOT in a fire safe at home, fire safes are apparently a thief magnet.
- consider having a security system (I am getting ADT on Friday)
- all computers need to be password protected with heavy passwords
- all iPods and alike smart devices that have personal info need to have passwords
- jewelry needs to be in the bank safe along with rare coins and similar small items.
- don't keep the DVDs shot in a video camera, with the camera in the same case!. the footage is far more valuable than the camera and when the camera is stolen, they can be saved if they were not in the camera case.
- copy digital photos and videos from your camera as soon as you can so that they will be included in your backup.
- backup files all the time. I recommend backing up online to a secure site(e.g. Carbonite)
- always keep inventory of household items using photography and receipts, this list needs to be stored online or somewhere where a theft or fire will not affect it. because I do this, I was able to prove ownership of many things I don't have receipts for.
Wed, 02 Dec 2009 01:16:32 +0000
Did your message disappear? Read the Forums FAQ.
Spam Control | * indicates required field
No TrackBacks yet. TrackBack can be used to link this thread to your weblog, or link your weblog to this thread. In addition, TrackBack can be used as a form of remote commenting. Rather than posting the comment directly on this thread, you can posts it on your own weblog. Then have your weblog sends a TrackBack ping to the TrackBack URL, so that your post would show up here.
Messages, files, and images copyright by respective owners.